Salesforce has created an incredible industry which not only encourages innovation but is powering job growth across the globe.
This presents a new challenge for Salesforce professionals; how do you compete with new talent and stand out from the crowd?
The article below covers the five actionable tips you can apply if you’re looking to excel in your Salesforce career and increase your salary— whether you’re just starting out or you’re already an expert.
1/ Salesforce Certifications
Why do you need Salesforce Certification?
There is massive value in working on getting Salesforce certifications for two reasons:
- Firstly, they are a great way of expanding your knowledge of the Salesforce platform, especially with the Sales & Service implementation Certifications.
- Secondly, certifications are one of the core KPI’s a Salesforce partner are judged on when climbing up the Partner category (Silver, Gold, Platinum).
How can you get certified in Salesforce?
With all the different Salesforce certifications out there, knowing which one to do can be half the battle. There are two approaches you can take:
- First, you can start by looking for gaps in your resume; if you don’t have experience in a particular product, take the initiative and make yourself a fully rounded threat by closing the gap and completing a course.
- Alternatively, pick an area of expertise and rack up as many certifications in that specific niche as possible; doing so will make you a highly in-demand talent for businesses looking to hire in that area.
2/ Work Accomplishments
Why do you need to gain accomplishments?
Since most employers base their pay decisions at least partly on individual performance and accomplishments, this is an important variable when being considered for a pay increase or promotion.
Even when applying for a new job, this information may be important to your prospective employer, as it gives a more complete picture of your abilities.
How to proactively keep track of your accomplishments?
While your manager may be awesome and can see your work ethic, they most likely are not keeping track (or can) of all the good work you do. Here are the tips for you to keep track of your accomplishments:
- Write down big accomplishments or milestones within your job and stay organized
- Set aside time at the end of every week, month, or quarter to review your accomplishments and highlight the ones that really stand out.
- Ask your superiors, peers, and mentors for feedback.
- Continually update your resume and LinkedIn with new awards and accomplishments as they occur.
3/ Additional skills
Why do you need additional skills?
Additional skills can be key when negotiating an increase in salary. The Salesforce market is driven by professionals not companies and there are lots of people with the same certifications, skill sets, and experience as yourself, so do what you can to stand out from the crowd.
What kinds of additional skills I can gain?
Depending on which career path you’re pursuing, you should make an effort in your job to gain these additional skills which will be beneficial for your career progress and increase your income:
- Project Management
- Service Max
- Service Cloud
- Marketing Cloud
- Sales Cloud
- Marketing Cloud
Why do you need to keep up to date with technology?
With the speed at which Salesforce is evolving and growing, businesses are going to be looking for those individuals who can implement and work with the most up-to-date features and technologies.
Those who are adept with technology — or who aren’t afraid of it, at least — can leverage their knowledge by serving as much-needed liaisons with technical personnel or by devising new ways to grow a business or cut costs.
How to build your knowledge of technology?
Keeping up with the technology trend is really important to boost your career and leave a good impression on your co-workers as well as your Manager. Check the strategies below to see how you can develop your knowledge of technology:
- Taking technology courses to get a better sense of how technology is created and functions.
- Building relationships with the technologists in your organization.
- Staying abreast of the latest trends, such as the influence of the open-source movement.
- Visiting Websites with a technical focus
5/ Long-term Plan
Why do you need to create a long-term plan?
Creating a long-term plan can help you more easily see what steps you need to take to achieve your goals and increase your value.
For instance, if you want to be promoted to the Salesforce management position, a long-term plan will be helpful for you in order to get there.
How to make a long-term plan?
A lot of people tend to repeat to themselves that having a long-term plan is important for their career path, but they don’t really know how to make it. Here are the steps for you to make a good plan for your future career path:
- Brainstorm Your Goals.
- Note What You Can Do Now.
- Decide What to Do in the Next 1-2 Years.
- Set reward Milestones.
- Have Regular Status Meetings With Yourself.